Due to the efforts of Brian Moon and Michelangelo van Dam, I’ve been sucked into a meme started by Tony Bibbs. My initial reaction to this unfortunate event was … (envision Steven Colbert, hands raised…) “Noooooo!!!” But I got over it. Hey, it’s the holiday season, I might as well be a good boy and fulfill the modern-day geek’s equivalent of a chain letter.
So, without further ado, here is my list of seven things about me you probably could care less about and will skip over to see if you are on my list of tagged people. (Yeah, you know you will.)
- My real name is not Jay
- I have a twin brother, Andy, who lives in England with his wife, Vicky, and my nephew, Archie. (I’m originally British, and my brother moved back to the “motherland” around 10 years ago)
- My father worked for American Standard Plumbing Products for something like 30 years. Having a Dad working in the plumbing industry with a surname of Pipes has been, well, interesting.
- My wife, Julie, has a yoga studio in Columbus, Ohio, where we live. I have no interest whatsoever in Yoga. This works well, as my wife has zero interest in technology. We always say that the secret to our marriage is low expectations.
- My favourite shows on television are Mythbusters, Top Gear, and Big Ten Football (and, yes, I know the Big Ten sucks this year.)
- I love the texture of velour. There’s just something about it. If not for social customs and expectations, I would likely dress entirely in velour.
- I find garden gnomes, clowns, and mimes incredibly creepy. Oooh, and magicians. They’re creepy too.
Here are the folks I’d like to know a little more about:
- My brother Andy. Being in England, I don’t get to see him as much as I’d like to, and especially since he’s now a proud father, I’d like to know what’s changed in his life and what he wants others to know about him.
- Jonathan Schwartz – yeah, he’s the CEO of Sun, yeah, he’s got a ponytail, but seriously, what makes him tick?
- Thomas Friedman – he’s an author I really respect and admire. Be cool to know if Mr. Friedman ever gets sick of going on all those talking head shows…
- Jan Kneschke, the creator lighthttpd and MySQL proxy, and all-around interesting dude.
- Sergey Petrunia, another brilliant guy. He’s on the MySQL optimizer team and hangs out on #drizzle, but I don’t know too much about him personally!
- My co-author on Pro MySQL, Mike Kruckenberg, is an all-around fantastic guy, wonderful father, and great thinker. I’d like to learn a little more about him more than I know already.
- Since I don’t think Hans Reiser will be able to continue the meme, I’ll choose Monty Widenius because I am positive he’ll come up with some very interesting tidbits about himself that may well make its way back to his Wikipedia page.
And, of course, the rules in case anyone missed them:
- Link your original tagger(s), and list these rules on your blog.
- Share seven facts about yourself in the post – some random, some weird.
- Tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names and the links to their blogs.
- Let them know they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment on their blogs and/or Twitter.